Does your food business help to bring more healthy foods to Michigan communities in an equitable way?
We want to hear your pitch!
If you’re a growing food business focused on making ‘good for you’ products using healthy, locally-sourced ingredients, have the potential to create jobs in your community, and consider environmental best practices in your business, apply now! Women-led and entrepreneurs of color are encouraged to apply.
The Michigan Good Food Fund at MSU Center for Regional Food Systems wants to hear from good food, Michigan-based businesses during this year’s MSU Product Center’s Making it in Michigan virtual event. Two good food businesses will be selected to pitch live and receive capital and resources to invest in their business.
Applications are open. Find more details below.
Two businesses will be selected to participate in an online pitch session on April 27 where the recipient of $5,000 and $2,500 awards will be announced live! The funds can be used towards purchases such as packaging, ingredients, equipment, real estate purchases, accounting services, web design, marketing services, or other purchases needed to support a good food business.
How to Apply
- Confirm you meet the mission of the Michigan Good Food Fund. Does your business help bring healthy foods to our communities? Are you an entrepreneur of color or do you employ people of color? Do you use locally sourced ingredients in your product or use compostable packaging or chemical-free on-farm practices? If you answered yes to most of the questions, we would love to hear your pitch.
- Create and practice your pitch! An effective pitch is like a commercial where you share details of your business plan in a condensed way.
- When you are ready, record a 60-90 second video of your pitch.
- Save your video as an MP4 and submit here before Sunday, April 11 at 11:59 pm E.T.
Rules & Guidelines
The application will be open from March 25 – April 11. No late entries will be permitted.
Videos will be scored on the following:
- Meeting the mission of the Michigan Good Food Fund.
- Including mention of the why, who, competitive advantage, financials, and entrepreneur’s background.
- The business’ impact on healthy food access, racial equity, equitable ownership, local foods, &/or environmental sustainability.
- How the funds will be used.
On April 22, two businesses will be selected to pitch live during Making it in Michigan and receive the awards. Those businesses are expected to:
- Meet with the Making it in Michigan team on Friday, April 23 at 12:30 pm to review the live session and a tech check.
- Present their pitch live during Making it in Michigan on Tuesday, April 27 from 5:00 – 6:30 pm E.T. Decisions regarding 1st and 2nd place will be made live during the event.
Funding awarded will be provided as reimbursement or direct pay to a vendor from MSU Center for Regional Food Systems.