Vicki Zilke and her husband Tom own two businesses – Zilke Vegetable Farm and Zilke Farm Kitchen in Milan. At their farm market, Vicki repeatedly heard from customers that they had great intentions on making healthy, tasty dinners for their families, but they had a lot of barriers. So, the Zilkes opened a grab-and-go meal kit store … and are celebrating its year anniversary!
Listen as Vicki talks about:
- Her first career as a nurse practitioner, and Tom’s first as a landscaper, and how they apply to their farm now
- The Michigan Good Food Fund, and how their shared values were a good fit for their business expansion
- Why she weeds for fun, and how a hoe is the best tool for angst
- How her mom raised educated, active community members
- Why she told every woman she saw “You were right!” after she became a grandma
- Their agri-tourism, sunflower field, and gift shop plans – plus, several parties!
First published by Michigan GROWN, Michigan GREAT podcast on June 4, 2019.