SIX BATTLE CREEK GOOD FOOD BUSINESSES RECEIVE TRAINING AND VIE FOR $10,000 IN SUPPORT
BATTLE CREEK, MICH. November 1, 2016—Six Battle Creek good food businesses are spending November 4-6 in a Business Bootcamp with industry mentors and fellow entrepreneurs. Hosted by the Michigan Good Food Fund, this training will give these enterprises the skills and resources to take their businesses to the next level.
Participating businesses are:
- EZ 2 Go Salads & Wraps, Springfield: A family-owned business serving affordable, healthy lunch opSons using locally sourced produce
- Farmers on the Move, Battle Creek: A cooperative of Hispanic farmers with a mission to provide locally grown, sustainable produce
- Great Scott Ice Cream, Springfield: A producer of frozen treats utlizing locally sourced ingredients as much as possible
- Green Gardens Farm, Battle Creek: A diversified, 20-acre farm with a CSA producing vegetables, herbs and flowers
- Sunlight Gardens, Battle Creek: An urban farm with a goal to cultivate health and consciousness through growing and educating the community
- Torti Taco, Battle Creek: A family-owned restaurant featuring authentic cuisine from Mexico using local, fresh ingredients
“Many good food entrepreneurs launch a business with a lot of passion,” said Dr. Oran B. Hesterman, president and CEO of Fair Food Network, a core partner with the Michigan Good Food Fund. “With this Business Bootcamp, we can match that passion with business acumen to help these enterprises be successful in the marketplace.”
The Bootcamp will cover topics such as marketing, telling your story, financials, solving business challenges, and more.
The highlight of the three days will be a public pitch competition and reception on Sunday, Nov. 6 from 4-7 p.m. at the Community Cultural Center in Springfield. Participating entrepreneurs will pitch their businesses to a panel of judges and a live audience. One business will win a $10,000 award from the Michigan Good Food Fund, which can be used for consulting support and capital expenditures.